Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Client Comedy

I was recently hired to represent a young man charged with attempt first degree murder among other things. He is alleged to have shot another young man in June 2008. My client was 16 at the time and has been in custody ever since.

After almost 2 years, the defendant and his family decided to fire the attorney. I filed my appearance on the next court date but had to come back a week later to get discovery. So far nothing has been done on this case by way of pre-trial motions. There's an offer of 13 years at 85% on the table, so about 11 years of real prison time.

If convicted, the minimum would be 31 years, also at 85%.

I still don't know what I am going to do with the case. I immediately sent out a number of subpoenas.

Monday in the holding cell, my client asked me if I could set his next court date 60 days out instead of the regular 30. I asked why?

Apparently, having to go to court every 30 days is inconvenient. He has to wake up early on court days.

His next court date is in 30 days.


www.schantz-law.com

Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to offer comments and opinions. However, if you require legal assistance please call 312-504-4554 to speak with me personally.