Friday, February 19, 2010

Clairification

I have received some comments about yesterday's post. So I want to make some clarifications.

I do not have a problem with citizens coming forward with information regarding a crime. Actually I encourage it. I do not consider someone that does this a snitch. Unfortunately, however, many around here do. And it can be dangerous.

What I call a snitch is someone that hurts someone else to better their situation. If you catch a case, man up and take the punishment. That's my opinion and I am entitled to it.

What's right or wrong, moral or immoral, just or unjust don't play a role in the gang play. I make no comment nor offer opinion. But in the court system we attempt to right the wrongs, apply morality, and be just. But sometimes the court system fails. And yesterday, in my opinion, it failed. Why? The wrong person is going to prison. But, by his own choice.

Unless you do my work, you cannot know how it feels to have a client whom you think is factually innocent being sent to prison. I can't even begin to describe how foul and awful it is.

You also can't know what it feels like to have to futilely attempt to console a crying, grieving mother. Did my hug and "I am so sorry" help? Did it make a difference?

And you don't know what's it like to doubt yourself by asking if it was simply an un-winnable case, or if I just wasn't good enough.

I imagine young doctors go through this. Eventually a patient is going to die. Naturally one's abilities will be questioned. But some people are just too sick to save. And some cases just can't be won. But which ones?

Last night I went and ran at my gym on a treadmill. And while running, I thought about yesterday's trial. I went back and forth. Bad case. Bad lawyering. Bad case. Bad lawyering. I put the case on as planned. It was a weak defense. But it was a plausible one. Was I perfect? No. Did I make mistakes? Several. But there is no perfect trial. That I accept.

Eventually the fact I hadn't slept or eaten much in two days caught up with me and I had to stop running. I had to eat something and chose bread.

This morning I woke up. I didn't feel really well. But I put on a suit and went right back to court. And next week, I will try my next jury trial. And the one after that. And the one after that.

www.schantz-law.com

Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to offer comments and opinions. However, if you require legal assistance please call 312-504-4554 to speak with me personally.